Friday, May 04, 2007

Gave £10 to a lady crying who promised to give it back (total: £98.01p)

So there I am, walking along my road, when a twenty something girl asks if I have a lighter... She looked like she had been crying, or was about to, so I asked her if I was okay. She told me she 'didn't normally do this' but that she was living down the road in a house and she'd had to hide/move away from her boyfriend who has 'been done' for 8 accounts of battery and that her mum was coming and she needed £8.50 for something like electricity. Never done this before my twisted arm... Anyway, I said sorry, I had no money on me, and she brightened up saying 'Oh, there's a cash point just round the corner'. Christ, I thought; what can you do. I'm sure she's going to pull the same stunt all night and is going to buy something to feed that fiendish glow she's got, but I walked to the cashpoint with her all the same, her promising me all the way she'd return it in an envelope and saying my address over and over again to herself whilst I asked pertinent questions like 'you're not going to rob me blind when I get there are you?' and 'have you seen a little pen knife as cute as this one on my key ring before?'

Anyway. Wench got her tenner.

And no, she never did 'pop it in an envelope back through my door'.

Well... What exactly did you think the world was coming to?

No comments: