Sunday, October 21, 2007

Gave a man sitting on Regent Street with no socks on £7.00 socks (total: £428.80p)

...And the reason why I stopped was... How can you leave anyone sitting on a cold street without any socks?

So I went on a sock mission, which you wouldn't think would be too hard on Regent Street, but that silly store with it's crap copy-writing French Connection didn't sell any (I spent about 7 minutes in there whilst the stupid staff faffed and argued and mused and did nothing other than base level behaviour), Paul Smith seemed a ridiculous way to spend money and the other stores were too busy selling stuff we didn't need. I ended up in Benetton, probably the first time I'd been in there since 1987, and found some socks quickly and without fuss. There was an ugly man in front of me buying himself lots of clothes he was too old, rude and ugly for and I thought 'I'm going to be here for ages, what if the man gets moved on?'. I asked politely, explaining I was buying socks for the homeless man, if I might go in front of him. And this ugly idiot gave me a look of disgust, like I'd ruined his whole day, like I was the worst thing to happen to him all week, like I ought to be shot at close range. Uh buddy... I think you're talking about you there.

I raised an eyebrow at him, (difficult since I'd just had a fringe cut in by my hairdresser and my eyebrows were effectively underneath) and said 'surely you can't mind? that would be hilarious' (in a, well-it-wouldn't-be-at-all way, as is my wont with using the word 'hilarious') and walked in front of him.

Of course, this lady faffed, her till gave up and I just handed the money over, asked for them to be popped in a bag and walked out the store.

The homeless man, with more manners than most and definitely more manners than the prick in the store, thanked me politely, almost giggling with delight, and put his socks on there and then.

I do wonder at us sometimes.

At least that man has warm feet, probably a warmer heart too.

As my father would say, you (ugly man in Benetton) need to buck your ideas up. And the rest...

No comments: